Introducing our toy model that can help bring microtransit to life: the on-demand microtransit builder. By identifying the main considerations a transport operator or agency usually asks before investing in microtransit, our team created a simplified modeling tool, animating a fleet of on-demand vehicles. Get a glimpse at what your community’s transportation could look like with on-demand technology by following the instructions below.
- Buses. How many fixed route buses are in your public transportation network?
- Bus walk. How many minutes do you expect people to reasonably walk to a bus station? Passengers who are further away than your maximum walking distance will take an on-demand shuttle instead.
- Vans. How many on-demand vehicles are in your fleet?
- Demand. How many requests do you expect potential riders to make? Naturally, we want to be able to serve as many ride requests as possible.
…and we’ll show you:
- Wait time. How long did passengers have to wait for a ride given the level of demand and number of vehicles in your fleet?
- Rides served. How many people who requested a ride were given an option that they accepted, and then completed?
- Utilization (rides per vehicle hour). How efficient was your use of vehicles?
Still unclear about how the tool works, what you’re looking at, or what kind of public transportation network you’re building? Get the full story in our deep-dive.