Last Updated: 1 September 2022
Via provides TransitTech solutions to power cost-effective, convenient, and equitable mobility across the globe. We build innovative software to enable our customers – cities, transit agencies, transport operators, school districts, universities, and corporations – to transform their legacy transportation systems into advanced digital networks.
We are committed to the principles of transparency and protecting our users’ privacy, and we want you to understand how we process and protect your personal information. This Privacy Notice explains how Via Transportation, Inc., and its affiliates around the world (collectively, “Via,” “we”, “us”, or “our”) collect, use, share, disclose, and otherwise process personal information, as well as how to exercise the choices and rights you have regarding your personal information. This Privacy Notice applies to all users of our apps, websites, platforms, products or other services, unless covered by a separate privacy notice or policy.
This Privacy Notice applies to you as a “User” of the “Via Services.”
Users include the following categories of individuals:
- Riders: Riders are individuals who request transportation services for themselves or others, as well as those who receive such services. Riders may be individuals who did not create a User Account, as defined in the “What Information Is Collected” section, with any of the Services, but who are traveling with an account holder. Riders may also be individuals who are the beneficiaries of a request for transportation made by an account holder, including by a friend, family member, or by an Enterprise Platform User (defined below) using the Via Solution to request rides for eligible individuals.
- Drivers: Drivers are individuals who provide transportation, delivery, logistics, or other services by using the Via Services. Drivers may have a contractual relationship with Via as independent contractors or may be engaged by transportation operators or other partners or subcontractors who contract with Via. Drivers may also include vehicle operators who support the operation of autonomous vehicles, which may not require manual human operation.
- Enterprise Platform Users: Enterprise Platform Users are employees or agents of “Enterprise Customers” or “Booking Customers,” each defined below.
- Delivery Users: Delivery Users are individuals who request or receive deliveries of goods, including food as well as other products, using the Via Services.
- Visitors: Visitors are all other individuals who interact with the Via Services, including by downloading the Via Apps or looking at or typing information into the Via Websites, without ever completing registration for a User Account, defined in the “What Information Is Collected” section.
When we use the term “Via Services,” we are referring to: (i) all Via websites (the “Via Websites”), (ii) mobile applications that Via makes available to Riders, Drivers, and Delivery Users (the “Via Apps”), and (iii) platforms, dashboards, content, products, and related services that Via makes available to Enterprise Customers or Booking Customers (the “Enterprise Platform”).
“Enterprise Customers” are cities, transit agencies, transport operators, school districts, universities, corporations, and other governmental or institutional customers which use the Via Apps and Enterprise Platform (together, the “Via Solution”) to establish, monitor, operate and/or manage transportation, delivery, and logistics networks. “Booking Customers” are businesses or other entities which may use the Enterprise Platform in order to arrange for transportation, delivery, or logistics services for Riders and Delivery Users.
Please note that Enterprise Customers may purchase, subscribe, or otherwise use the Via Solution on a purely software-as-a-service (“SaaS”) basis, or with supplemental enabling services, which can include Driver services, vehicle supply and fleet management, customer support, marketing, service optimization, and other services provided either by Via or third parties (“SaaS + Services”). In instances where the Via Solution is provided to Enterprise Customers on a purely SaaS basis, Via will act only as a data processor or service provider, and will therefore collect, use, share, disclose, and otherwise process personal information of individuals using each Enterprise Customer’s services only as directed by that specific Enterprise Customer. Please see the “SaaS – Notice to End Users” section for more details on how we process SaaS end user information.
Please note that all corporate entities and organizations referenced throughout this policy are defined to include their affiliates and agents. For example, when we say that we share information with Enterprise Customers, we may share information with employees, agents, affiliates, consultants, or subcontractors designated or authorized by these Enterprise Customers to receive such information.
We may provide different or additional disclosures about residents of certain countries, regions, or states.
What Information Is Collected
When you use the Via Services, we may collect personal information about you, including information that you provide to us, information that is automatically collected, and personal information about you from other sources and third parties.
A. Personal Information You Provide to Us
- User Account Information: To use the Via Services, you may be required to maintain an account with us, which may differ depending on whether you are a Rider, Driver, Delivery User, or Enterprise Platform User (together, these are “User Accounts”). We collect information from you whenever you create or update a User Account, or when one is created on your behalf by an authorized agent.
Depending on your User category, and the type of Via Services you are using, the information you provide to create or update a User Account may include: your name, email address, telephone number, a photograph or profile image, login credentials, physical address, payment methods or banking information, driver’s license and other government identification documents or numbers (which may include social security numbers), insurance and vehicle-related information, demographic information, information about your employment or corporate affiliation (including your employer identification number, company, and/or title).
You may also have an opportunity to provide additional information to us related to your User Account, including information about a disability, service animal, a guardian or personal care attendant, an emergency contact, a home or work address, or other information that may be relevant to your preferences or your use of the Via Services. In certain jurisdictions, and as permitted by law, we may also collect additional background check and identity verification information for Drivers, including drug and alcohol test records and results, driving history, and credentials or certifications required for the specific purposes for which you would be using the Via Services.
Note that we do not directly collect or store full debit or credit card numbers for Riders, Drivers, or Delivery Users. All payments are provided directly to third-party payment processors, and their use of your information is governed by their privacy notices. We may collect and maintain information about your payment methods and the last four digits of a card number.
- Visitor Contact Information: If you are a Visitor and did not create a User Account, you may be given the opportunity to provide us with contact information or other characteristics, including your name, email address, physical address, telephone number, and occupational and employer information. We collect this information when you provide it to us, and we may use it for marketing purposes and to communicate with you, consistent with applicable law.
- Your Communications with Us: Whenever you contact us (for example, by seeking support using your User Account, by responding to one of our messages, leaving feedback or ratings using the Via Services, or notifying us of an incident involving the Via Services), we will collect any information you provide (including the content of any attachments). We will also collect information which is apparent from your communication (for example, the email address or phone number from which you contacted us). If you communicate with us by telephone, we may record the audio of our communications, consistent with applicable law. In certain instances, we may provide you an opportunity to indicate your preferences for our future communications (e.g., whether you prefer physical mail, email, text messages), and we will collect any preferences you indicate. Please note that our systems may record personal information that you type even if you do not ultimately submit it.
- Survey Information: We may offer you the opportunity to participate in surveys, quizzes, contests, interviews, or promotions. You may be asked to provide personal information (including demographic information) to participate in such opportunities.
B. Personal Information Collected When You Use the Via Services
- Location Information: We collect information about your location in different ways depending on how you use the Via Services.
- When Riders or Delivery Users are using one of the Via Apps, we collect location data (including GPS and WiFi data) from your mobile device only when the Via Apps are running in the foreground of your mobile device (when the application is open and on-screen). If you are a Rider who is aboard a Driver-operated vehicle, we may also indirectly receive information about your location based on the data we receive about the Driver’s use of the Via Services.
- When Drivers are using one of the Via Apps, we collect location data (including GPS and WiFi data) from your mobile device whenever the Via Driver App is running in the foreground or the background (when the application is open but not on-screen) of your mobile device. You may have opportunities to further adjust location-sharing preferences on your mobile device.
- For all other uses of the Via Services, we may collect general location data based on any automatically collected Device Information and Usage Information, as defined below.
- Device Information: We may collect information about the devices and browsers you use to access the Via Services. This may include your internet protocol (IP) address, operating system, browser type, browser language, screen resolution, the URL you entered and any relevant referring page/campaign, as well as information about the mobile devices you may use to access the Via Apps (including your hardware model, version, any device identifiers, operating system, battery level and charging status, and screen size).
- Usage Information: We collect information about how you interact with the Via Services, including your User Account transactions and automatically collected log data. Usage Information may include, but is not limited to, information about when and how you downloaded any of the Via Apps or created your User Account; your access and login activity; your preferences; details about any transportation or delivery services you request or participate in through the Via Services; your transactions; the specific components of the Via Apps, Via Website, or any other aspect of the Via Solution you visit or use, along with details about your views or use of these components including pages or screens you viewed, how long you spent on a page or screen, navigation paths between pages or screens, information about your activity on a page or screen, access times, and length of access; any alerts or communications we send you in connection with your use of the Via Services; and any errors that may have occurred during your use of the Via Services.
- Communications Between Riders and Drivers: As noted in the “How We Share Or Disclose Personal Information” section, when we facilitate phone calls between Riders and Drivers, we may use a third-party service to enable these Users to call one another through masked phone numbers without revealing their personal contact information to the User they are contacting. If you make a phone call through this tool, we will collect metadata regarding your communications, including the date, start and end times of the call, and the unmasked phone numbers that participated in the call.
- In-Vehicle Recordings: In certain cases, vehicles operated by Drivers may be equipped with devices that use video camera and/or sensor technology to record events inside and outside the vehicle. If such devices are installed by one of our service providers, we may collect video images of Drivers and Riders, along with telematics data that includes vehicle location, speed, braking, relative proximity to other vehicles, and collision events that may occur during your ride. In certain limited instances, and subject to notice or consent requirements in accordance with applicable law, we may also collect audio recordings. Certain devices that we use may employ artificial intelligence to process a Driver’s biometric information in real-time in order to identify and alert the Driver to indicators of distracted driving or other safety-related events. The devices do not store or transfer biometric information and we do not disclose biometric information to third parties for commercial purposes. In cases where we collect data from in-vehicle recording devices, we will work with our service providers to provide notice to both Drivers and Riders that there is a recording device in their vehicle; such notice may be provided through physical signs on the exterior and/or interior of the vehicle.
- Cookies and Third-Party Analytics Data: Like most providers of online services and platforms, we collect information about the electronic path you take to the Via Services, through the Via Services and when exiting the Via Services, and your usage and activity on the Via Services, such as the links, objects, products and benefits you view, click, or otherwise interact with. We and our third-party service providers and business partners may collect and store information through “cookies,” related technologies (such as pixels and web beacons), and third-party analytics services (such as Google Analytics). We collect this information for purposes that include remembering User preferences and settings, analyzing the effectiveness of certain features of our Via Services, and designing and delivering marketing campaigns. For details about how analytics information is automatically collected and used, as well as the choices you may have in relation to those practices, please review our Cookie Notice.
C. Personal Information Collected from Other Sources and Third Parties
Although we generally collect the personal information described above directly from you, we may also collect this information through service providers and other third parties that collect it on our behalf, as noted below. To learn about the privacy practices of any third party, please review their respective privacy notices.
- Enterprise Customers: Enterprise Customers may provide us with your name, contact information, demographic information, and any of the other personal information that may be included in “User Account Information” (defined above) to enable us to offer the Via Services to you. For example, if we work with a transit agency Enterprise Customer to provide the Via Services to paratransit passengers, we may receive Riders’ contact information and information about their eligibility for paratransit services through that Enterprise Customer. Additionally, if you are an Enterprise Platform User who needs to access the Via Services to manage a transit network, your employer may provide your personal information to us so that we may authorize you as a User.
- Booking Customers: A Booking Customer may provide us with your name, contact information, demographic information, and other personal information to enable us to provide the Via Services to you. For example, if you are employed by a Booking Customer which uses the Via Services to request transportation services for its employees, the Booking Customer may provide us with your name and contact information so that we may notify you of the status of your ride or send you other communications about the Via Services.
- Referrals: We may use referral promotions to encourage Riders, Drivers, or Delivery Users to tell friends, relatives, or others they know (“Referred Persons”) about the Via Services. We may ask Riders, Drivers, or Delivery Users to provide personal information about Referred Persons. We use personal information collected in connection with these referrals to communicate with the Referred Person, including to invite them to create a User Account. As explained in the “How We Share or Disclose Personal Information” section, we may also share certain personal information about a Referred Person with the Rider, Driver, or Delivery User who referred them.
- Service Providers and Business Partners: We work with a wide range of third-party service providers and business partners who make it possible for us to make the Via Services available and also help us to improve the Via Services. These service providers include data storage and processing services, mapping services; customer support services; background check providers; fraud prevention, security, and troubleshooting services; communications services; translation and accessibility services; insurance providers; research and analytics providers; professional service providers; video recording and telematics service providers; payment processing services; and marketing and social media services. In certain contexts, we may work with business partners including vehicle leasing partners, telehealth services, in-vehicle advertising providers, and insurance providers, among others, which make products or services available to Users who wish to participate. These service providers and business partners may collect your personal information when you provide it to them or automatically when you interact with them, and they may share that information with us.
- Social Media: If you decide to interact with Via through social media, we may collect personal information about you that you have chosen to make available to us through your social media account and social media platform settings. We use personal information collected in connection with your social media account and activity to communicate with you and better understand your interests and preferences.
- Other Sources of Information: We may collect personal information from publicly available sources (including government records or public websites) or from other third parties (including data and mailing list providers, regulators, law enforcement, the media, or insurers) to correct or supplement personal information we have collected about you from other sources.
How We Use Personal Information
We use the personal information that we collect through the Via Services, including through third-party sources, to:
- Provide the Via Services: We use personal information, including location information, to make the Via Services available – both to you and to other Users.
- For example, we may use Users’ contact information to create and maintain User Accounts, we use Riders’ location information to make it possible for them to match with Drivers offering transportation services and to then track the progress of their rides, and we may use Drivers’ banking information to enable them to receive compensation for the transportation or delivery services they provide to other Users through the Via Services.
- Personalize the Via Services: We may use personal information to personalize aspects of the Via Services.
- For example, Riders can input personal preferences to enable accessibility features or save a “home” address in the Via Apps to serve as a shortcut when making new ride requests.
- Improve the Via Services: We use your personal information to help us continue to improve the Via Services and develop new products and features. We may also aggregate personal information to help understand Users’ needs and improve our services and offerings.
- For example, we may use your personal information to identify software bugs and troubleshoot errors, to improve our algorithms, to test any aspect or configuration of the Via Services, to identify potential new processes, features, or initiatives, to prevent fraud and misuse, and to conduct general research and development.
- Safety, Security, and Fraud Prevention: We use personal information to offer the Via Services safely and securely, and to deter fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical, or illegal activity in the Via Services.
- For example, we may use personal information to authenticate users and verify accounts, identify or investigate unsafe behaviors, and to perform background checks on certain Drivers before we authorize them to use the Via Services to connect with Riders.
- Customer Support: We use personal information to provide support to individual Users as well as Enterprise Customers and Booking Customers, respond to feedback and inquiries, to investigate or otherwise address incidents, claims, or disputes relating to the use of the Via Services, and to monitor and improve our customer support processes.
- For example, if you submit a photograph related to an incident that occurred on a ride you arranged through the Via Services, we may use it to review your report. We may also use an email message or a recording of a phone call between you and our customer support staff to monitor and improve our responses to User inquiries.
- Communications: We use personal information to communicate with you about your use of the Via Services and for marketing purposes.
- For example, we may use your personal information to alert you about the status of transportation services arranged through the Via Services, to provide receipts for payments, to send announcements and security alerts, and to provide updates about our policies and any element of the Via Services. We may also use your personal information to deliver marketing communications, news, and advertisements about the Via Services or products or services offered by business partners.
- Compliance and Lawful Requests: We use your personal information as necessary or appropriate to comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal processes.
- For example, we may be required to provide information in response to a subpoena or we may receive lawful requests for information from law enforcement, regulators, government officials, insurance companies, Enterprise Customers, or other third parties authorized to make such requests. In these circumstances, we may use and disclose personal information as required or permitted by applicable law.
- We conduct this processing pursuant to our legal obligations under applicable laws and regulations, our contractual obligations to our Enterprise Customers or other authorized third parties, or our legitimate interests in addressing any claims or disputes relating to the Via Services. In certain circumstances, we may also ask for your consent to collect certain categories of personal information for these purposes.
How We Share Or Disclose Personal Information
Via does not sell your personal information to third parties. We take your privacy seriously, so when we do share information with third parties, we try to disclose anonymized or aggregated data wherever possible. We also take reasonable and appropriate steps to limit the scope of information that is disclosed and to ensure that the third party is required to comply with data protection laws. We may share and disclose personal information in the following ways:
- Within Via: Via’s employees and affiliates work together to provide the Via Services. We share your personal information among staff and affiliates which are responsible for various aspects of the Via Services. We limit access to your personal information to employees and affiliates that need access to this information in order to perform their job functions and we track who is authorized to view or access personal information related to Users’ use of the Via Services.
- With Your Employer: We may share and disclose certain information with your employer. By accepting this Privacy Notice you agree that we will share and disclose certain personal information with your employer.
- With Drivers, Riders, or Delivery Users: In order to help Users arrange for transportation or delivery services by using the Via Services, we may share certain categories of their personal information with Drivers, Riders, or Delivery Users for limited purposes. In addition to any information that you request or explicitly authorize us to disclose, we will share information with Drivers, Riders, and/or Delivery Users as follows:
- Rider or Delivery User Information –
- If you are a Rider or Delivery User using the Via Apps for on-demand transportation services, we may share your first name and last initial, your requested pick-up and drop-off locations, and service-related information (such as a note that the Rider requires a wheelchair accessible vehicle or is traveling with a companion), with a Driver. We use a third-party service to mask or otherwise conceal a Rider’s or Delivery User’s phone number when they contact a Driver through one of the Via Apps; we will not share a Rider’s or Delivery User’s contact information with a Driver without their consent.
- If you are a Rider or Delivery User using certain services, including but not limited to pre-scheduled transportation, paratransit and similar specialized accessible transportation, or delivery services, we may share additional personal information with a Driver to enable them to provide services to you. For example, pre-scheduled paratransit services may require Drivers to communicate with a care provider to serve a Rider, so Drivers may have access to a Rider’s full name, contact information, and notes made about a Rider’s service requirements (e.g., information about a personal care assistant, service animal, or detailed pick-up requests).
- After a ride or delivery has been completed, we may share a Rider’s or Delivery User’s anonymous feedback with a Driver. We take precautions not to reveal a Rider’s identity in any incidents alleging misconduct by a Driver. Nevertheless, a Driver may be able to deduce the identity of the Rider or Delivery User who submitted feedback about their experience based on the details included in the feedback.
- When a Rider shares a ride with another Rider, each Rider may be able to determine certain limited information about the other (e.g., their pick-up or drop-off location) over the course of their ride.
- When a Rider or Delivery User receives transportation or delivery services that have been arranged by another Rider or Delivery User, some or all of the personal information we collect about the individual who received the services will be shared with the individual who arranged the services.
- Rider or Delivery User Information –
- Driver Information –
- If you are a Driver, after you receive a request for transportation or delivery services, we may share your name, photograph, location, information about your vehicle, and any other information as may be required by statute or regulation (in some instances, this may include a government-issued identification number), with the Rider.
- In most instances, we use a third-party service to mask or otherwise conceal a Driver’s phone number when they contact a Rider or Delivery User through the Via Apps. In certain instances, we may share a Driver’s phone number with a Rider or Delivery User, for example to facilitate the return of an item left by a Rider in a Driver’s vehicle.
- If you are a Driver and you or your vehicle is involved in an accident, we may share certain personal information, including your automobile insurance information, with third parties, including Riders, who may wish to submit a claim.
- If you are a Driver who has been referred to Via by another Driver, we may share with your referrer certain information related to your use of the Via Services as it may be relevant for their eligibility to receive any benefits, incentives, or rewards as a result of the referral.
- Other Users’ Information –
- We do not share Enterprise Platform Users’ or Visitors’ information with Riders, Drivers, or Delivery Users except to the extent they also use the Via Services as Riders, Drivers, or Delivery Users.
- With Enterprise Customers: Where we provide the Via Services in connection with an Enterprise Customer, we may share Riders,’ Drivers,’ or Delivery Users’ personal information with that Enterprise Customer. This personal information may include names and contact information, geolocation information, payment information, driver’s license number, vehicle information, transaction history, customer support communications, and feedback. This information enables Enterprise Customers to assist in managing or monitoring aspects of the Via Services or to arrange for transportation or delivery services as Booking Customers. Please note that Enterprise Platform Users may be able to view one another’s usage activity and contact information. For example, a transit planner using Remix’s planning tools may be able to share a proposed design with another colleague, and a customer support agent’s communications may be visible to other authorized Users of the Enterprise Platform. Additionally, an Enterprise Platform User with administrator privileges may be able to create User Accounts for other authorized Users of the same Enterprise Customer and view their usage activity.
- With Booking Customers: If you are a Rider or Delivery User receiving transportation or delivery services arranged on your behalf by a Booking Customer, your personal information, including your contact information, location information, and other details about the transportation or delivery services requests you receive will be shared with the Booking Customer. If you are a Driver who provides transportation services that were arranged by a Booking Customer, your personal information, including but not limited to your full name, contact information, and location information may be shared with the Booking Customer.
- With Service Providers: We may share some or all of your personal information with our service providers who perform services on our behalf. Some of the categories of our service providers include:
- Data storage and processing services: The Via Services are hosted on cloud servers and we use third-party vendors for assistance with data collection, processing, storage, retrieval, and aggregation.
- Mapping services: We use third-party software to assist with mapping functions used in our Via Services.
- Customer support services: We work with third parties to provide us with support services, including through call centers, email, and chat support.
- Background check providers: In certain instances, and consistent with all applicable laws and regulations, we may engage with third parties who provide background check and identity verification services.
- Fraud prevention, security, and troubleshooting services: We use vendors to assist us in detecting and preventing fraudulent use of our Via Services, in preserving the data security of our systems and Via Services, and in identifying and resolving errors or incidents that may affect the Via Services. In certain cases, we may work with video recording and telematics service providers to promote safe use of the Via Services and assist in incident response.
- Communications services: We use vendors to provide communications services for functions such as sending in-app notifications, masking User telephone numbers, and managing and sending emails, text messages, or telephone calls.
- Marketing and Social Media Services: We use marketing vendors, including analytics software, advertisement networks, social networks, and marketing communication providers and consultants to assist in targeting our marketing to specific audiences.
- Translation and accessibility services: We work with translation vendors to make the Via Apps accessible to users who speak a variety of languages, and we consult with accessibility experts to help us actualize our commitment to increasing access to transportation services.
- Insurance providers: We work with insurance companies, adjusters, brokers, and claims administrators to help provide insurance and process claims on implicated insurance policies.
- Research and analytics providers: We may use service providers to aggregate personal information and receive insights about how the Via Services are used.
- Subcontractors: We may contract with transportation operators and other subcontractors to help provide services to Enterprise Customers, and we may need to share personal information with these subcontractors to enable them to complete their contracted tasks.
- Professional service providers: We may consult with or retain lawyers, accountants, government affairs or subject matter experts, and other professionals.
- With our Business Partners: We engage with business partners to support the Via Services and provide you with additional opportunities to use the Via Services. Business partners may include vehicle leasing partners, telehealth services, in-vehicle advertising providers, and insurance providers, among others. Note that the processing of your data will be subject to that business partner’s privacy notices. In California, we engage with any Business Partner as a service provider. We may also share aggregated demographic information with third parties interested in advertising on our online services, but this information would be designed not to be identifiable to a specific individual.
- With Academic Researchers: We may share de-identified information with academic researchers. We take care to ensure that any information provided to researchers is disclosed confidentially and is not subject to re-identification.
- With Payment Processors: We use payment processors, online payment system providers and billing agents to process transactions related to the services you arrange or provide through the Via Services.
- In a Business Transaction, Transfer, or Reorganization: We may disclose personal information to a third party in connection with, or during negotiations of, a business transaction such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, financing or sale of company assets, or in the event that a service we provide is transitioned to another provider. Personal information may also be disclosed in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
- Pursuant to Legal Obligations and Rights: We may disclose personal information to third parties, such as law enforcement, government authorities (such as regulators or public health officials), issuers of licenses and permits (such as airport authorities), insurers, claimants, and other third parties as we determine to be necessary to (i) respond with civil, criminal, or regulatory inquiries and legal process (including search warrants, subpoenas, summonses, or court orders), (ii) comply with legal obligations, (iii) enforce our policies and agreements, (iv) establish, exercise, or defend legal claims, or (v) protect the rights, safety and property of Via, third parties, or the public.
- With Users’ Consent and at Their Request: With your consent or at your request, we may disclose your personal information publicly or to any third parties not otherwise mentioned in this Privacy Notice.
How We Store And Protect Personal Information
We retain your information for as long as necessary to provide you, other Users, and Enterprise Customers, where appropriate, with the Via Services, or as long as required to fulfill our legal obligations. We retain transactional information such as payments and information about rides or deliveries you make and receive to ensure we can perform legitimate business functions, such as accounting for tax obligations. If you request account deletion, we will delete your information as set forth in the “Updating or Deleting Your Account” section.
Via takes the security of your personal information and our data very seriously. We take reasonable and appropriate measures designed to protect your personal information, including against unauthorized intrusions or acts by third parties. Please remember that no method of storage or transmission is 100% secure and that you are solely responsible for protecting your User credentials, limiting access to your devices, and signing out of the Via Services after use.
Your Communication Preferences
In connection with the Via Services, we may send you email messages, direct mail offers, SMS messages, push notifications or other communications, including telephone calls, regarding the Via Services.
You may ask us not to send you marketing communications by:
- Following any opt-out instructions that are made available in our marketing communications.
- Sending a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating the nature of your request and identifying the email address or number at which we contacted you.
- You may also be able to use your mobile device or in-app settings in the Via Apps to opt out of marketing communications and push notifications.
If you request to opt out of marketing communications, please note that we may continue to send you non-marketing communications, which may include account verification and maintenance, status updates regarding specific transactions (such as transportation or delivery services you arranged using the Via Services), changes or updates to the Via Services or our ongoing business relationship, and any technical, administrative, legal, or security-related notices.
Updating or Deleting Your Information
If you would like to update, delete, or correct any information that you have provided to us through your use of the Via Services or otherwise, please send an email to email@example.com. Certain Via Apps may also have an in-app deletion function, which you may use to delete your account information. Upon your request, we will comply with all applicable laws governing such requests. If you request deletion of your account, we may retain certain information as permitted or required by statute, rule, or regulation, and we will also keep a record of the fact that your request was made and fulfilled.
Our websites and online services may include links to or redirect you to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications, including social media services where you may connect with us. Third-party websites may also reference or link to our websites and online services. Except where we post, link to, or expressly adopt or refer to this Privacy Notice, this Privacy Notice does not apply to, and we are not responsible for, any personal information practices of third-party websites and online services or the practices of other third parties. To learn about the personal information practices of third parties, please visit their respective privacy notices or policies.
Updates To This Privacy Notice
We will update this Privacy Notice from time to time as the Via Services change and in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. When we make changes to this Privacy Notice, we will change the “Last Updated” date at the beginning of this Privacy Notice. If we make material changes, we will notify you through a pop-up notification on the Via Apps, Via Websites, or elsewhere in the Via Solution, or by other means, including email or a prominently posted notice at the beginning of this Privacy Notice. All changes shall be effective from the date of publication unless otherwise provided in the notification. We encourage you to review this Privacy Notice periodically. By using the Via Services after an update, you agree to the updated version of the Privacy Notice.
If you have any questions or requests in connection with this Privacy Notice or other privacy-related matters, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, inquiries may be addressed to:
United Kingdom and European Economic Area:
Via Technologies Europe B.V.
1017 DK Amsterdam, the Netherlands
All other jurisdictions:
Via Transportation, Inc.
10 Crosby St. Second Floor
New York, NY 10013
SaaS Notice to End Users
We provide the Via Services to certain Enterprise Customers on a purely SaaS basis, without any supplemental enabling services. In these cases, the Enterprise Customer accesses Via’s proprietary technology platform and certain related systems and methods used to establish, monitor, and/or manage transportation, delivery, or logistics networks, along with accompanying technical and operational support services. Nevertheless, the Enterprise Customer remains fully responsible for establishing and operating the transportation, delivery, and logistics services to you.
When you use a product or service that Via provides to an Enterprise Customer on a purely SaaS basis, you receive access to Via’s products and services only through that Enterprise Customer. This means that the Enterprise Customer will (i) control and administer your accounts, including by controlling any privacy-related settings, and (ii) access, process, and share your personal information according to its own privacy policies and practices. The Enterprise Customer will act as the data controller and Via will act only as a processor or service provider to the Enterprise Customer. Accordingly, Via will collect, use, share, disclose, and otherwise process personal information of its users only as directed by the Enterprise Customer under its contract with Via. Accordingly, this Privacy Notice will not be determinative of how your information will be used by Via and we encourage you to consult the relevant Enterprise Customer’s privacy notices. Via is not responsible for the privacy or security practices of its customers, including Enterprise Customers, which may differ from those set forth in this Privacy Notice.
If you use products or services that an Enterprise Customer accesses from Via on a purely SaaS basis, please direct your privacy inquiries – including any requests to exercise your data protection rights or to change your communication preferences – to the relevant Enterprise Customer. Similarly, if you have any questions about Via’s processing of your personal information in connection with your use of an Enterprise Customer’s products or services, please contact the Enterprise Customer.
Please note that in the event that Via processes data on behalf of an educational agency or institution in the United States, Via will process student personal information in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and its contractual arrangement with that entity.
Last Updated: 1 September 2022
Cookies and Related Technologies
Cookies are small data files that are stored on your computer that allow us and our third-party partners and providers to collect certain information about your interactions with our email communications, websites, apps, and other online services.
There are two general types of cookies:
- Session cookies: A session cookie typically disappears after you close your mobile application or browser.
- Persistent cookies: A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may collect or transmit information every time you use the Via Services until it is manually cleared or reaches its expiration date. We use persistent cookies when we need to know who you are for more than one session (e.g., to remember your preferences for the next time you use the Via Services).
We and our third-party service providers and business partners may use both session and persistent cookies and other, related technologies to collect this information, such as web beacons, pixels, embedded scripts, software development kits (“SDKs”), and location-identifying technologies and logging technologies (collectively, we refer to these technologies as “cookies”).
What We Collect When Using Cookies
Our third-party service providers and business partners may also directly collect personal information about your online activities over time and across different websites when you use our websites and online services. For example, we may share, or we may permit third-party services to collect information about your use of the Via Services over time so that they may deliver content, including ads, that may be relevant to your interests on in the Via Services, on other websites or apps (including social media platforms), or on other devices you may use.
Social media platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, Google, and others, have interest-based advertising programs that allow us to direct advertisements to users who have shown interest in the Via Services while those users are on the social media platform, or to groups of other users who share similar traits, such as likely commercial interests and demographics. These advertisements are governed by the privacy policies of those social media companies that provide them.
We use Google Analytics for both analytics and advertising purposes. Some of the advanced advertising features provided by Google Analytics enable us to use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick advertising cookie) or other third-party cookies together to inform, optimize, and display ads based on your past visits to the Via Services. You can find out more information about how Google uses your data when you use its partners’ sites here, and more information about Google’s data practices here.
How We Use Information Collected Through Cookies
We may use the data collected through cookies to: (a) remember information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Via Services; (b) provide and monitor the effectiveness, online usage, and Users’ interactions with the Via Services; (c) improve and diagnose errors or issues with the Via Services; (d) provide custom, personalized content and information, including targeted content and advertising; (e) identify you across multiple devices; (f) provide and monitor the effectiveness of the Via Services; and (g) facilitate the other purposes identified in the Privacy Notice. We and our marketing partners also use the information we collect through cookies to understand your browsing activities, including across unaffiliated third-party sites, so that we can deliver information and ads about our services that may be of interest to you.
Overview of the Cookies We Use
Type of Cookie
These are cookies that are essential for us to be able to provide our services to you.
They may be used for:
- Security and fraud detection
- To enable you to navigate and use the services
- Localizing language preferences
These cookies cannot be turned off because, without them, we can’t provide the services you request. If you set your browser to block them, some parts of the site will not then work.
These are cookies that we use to analyze and understand your use of our services. These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can improve the performance of our services. The information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous.
These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and personalisation. They may be set by us or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.
Targeting and Marketing
These are cookies we or our third party partners may use to evaluate your online activity in order to deliver personalized advertising. Our third party partners may use this information to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant advertisements on other sites. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.
Your Choices About Cookies
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. However, if you would prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow you to: (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject cookies. You may also set your email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain cookies which would allow us to know whether you have accessed our email and performed certain functions with it.
Please note that if you delete or choose not to accept cookies, you may be missing out on certain features of the Via Services and some features or offerings may not work properly. Depending on your device and operating system, you may not be able to delete or block all cookies. In addition, if you want to reject cookies across all your browsers and devices, you will need to do so on each browser on each device you actively use.
Find out how to manage cookies on popular browsers by reviewing the resources below (to find information relating to other browsers, visit the browser developer’s website):
As noted above, we use Google Analytics for both analytics and advertising purposes. You may control your advertising preferences or opt-out of certain Google advertising products by visiting the Google Ads Preference Manager, currently available at http://www.google.com/ads/preferences, or by visiting NAI’s online resources at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices. If you want to opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, please visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Your Choices About Online Advertising
To learn more about interest-based advertising and how you may be able to opt-out of some of this advertising, you may wish to visit the Digital Advertising Alliance’s (“DAA”) resources and/or the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) online resources, at www.aboutads.info/choices or http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ and you can opt-out of receiving some interest-based advertisements on mobile apps by visiting http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices or by visiting the EU-based Your Online Choices at www.youronlinechoices.eu. You may also be able to limit interest-based advertising through the settings menu on your mobile device by selecting “limit ad tracking” (iOS) or “opt-out of interest-based ads” (Android). You may also be able to opt-out of some (but not all) interest-based advertising served by mobile ad networks by visiting http://youradchoices.com/appchoices and downloading the mobile AppChoices app.
Please note that when you opt out of receiving interest-based advertisements, this does not mean you will no longer see advertisements from us or on our online services; it means that the online ads that you do see from DAA program participants should not be based on your interests.
Updates to This Cookie Notice
We will update this Cookie Notice from time to time. When we make changes to this Cookie Notice, we will change the “Last Updated” at the beginning of this Cookie Notice. If we make significant changes, we will notify you through a pop-up notification on the Via Apps, Via Websites, or elsewhere in the Via Solution, or by other means, including email or a prominently posted notice at the beginning of this Cookie Notice. All changes shall be effective from the date of publication unless otherwise provided in the notification. We encourage you to review this Cookie Notice periodically. By using the Via Services after an update, you consent to the updated version of the Cookie Notice.
If you have any questions or requests in connection with this Cookie Notice or other privacy-related matters, please send an email to email@example.com.
Alternatively, inquiries may be addressed to:
Via Transportation, Inc.
10 Crosby St.
New York, NY 10013