TfNSW at a glance.
- Geography: Urban, Suburban
- Fixed-route fleet: 2500
- On-demand fleet: 6 fully accessible buses
How the agency is using Via and Remix.
Increasing congestion and parking pressure in three fast-growing Sydney suburbs posed a growing problem for the team over at Transport for New South Wales (TfNSW). Simultaneously, stakeholder conversations were inefficient and consensus-building continued to be time-consuming.
- Use cases: First-and-last mile, Strategic planning, Accessibility analysis, O-D analysis, Street design
That's when TfNSW turned to Via and Remix: The former partnered with the agency's operator, Busways, to launch an on-demand first-and-last-mile service that’s integrated with TfNSW’s network and Opal ticketing system. The latter allowed TfNSW to design and iterate on projects like connecting the northwest suburbs to Sydney Metro. TfNSW was recognized for a human-centered design approach after using Remix in public workshops.
Quantifying the results.
- 55% of Cooee Busways riders previously made the same trips by private car
- 53 fewer metric tons of CO2 emissions since launching Cooee Busways
- 210,000 fewer km driven since launching Cooee Busways
- 425 Individual users of Remix across multiple depts within TfNSW
What transit leaders are saying.
“We’re getting people out of their cars, easing traffic congestion, and making the integrated transport network work better for people.” - Byron Rowe, Busways Managing Director
“Remix was an integral part in letting us iterate the network quickly and for sharing concepts with customers.” - Kira Evans, Transport Planner