January 17, 2022 (BOSTON) — NewMo, Newton’s shared ride transportation system, is celebrating its 100,000th ride and we couldn’t be prouder. NewMo launched three years ago as a transportation service for seniors and we expanded in October 2021 to serve everyone.
More than 12,000 people have registered to use NewMo. In the last 12 months alone, ridership doubled with the system now providing more than 300 trips each weekday.
This flexible, friendly and affordable service makes it possible for people to get to appointments, to work, to public transit stations, and to school without the expense or environmental impacts of using a personal vehicle.
Interestingly, NewMo is particularly helpful to people with limited options and tight budgets. NewMo users earn less, own fewer vehicles, and have fewer options for transportation than Newton’s overall population.
- 56% of NewMo users come from households earning less than 80% of the area’s median income (AMI) for a family of three ($126,000), and 39% are from households earning less than 50% of the AMI for a family of three ($53,350).
- 27% live in households without a car.
- 19% say they chose NewMo because they had “no viable alternative.”
Survey and trip data also show that NewMo supports critical trips, helps more people access transit, and provides transportation to school or jobs.
- 49% of seniors using NewMo are going to medical appointments.
- 32% of non-seniors are going to jobs.
- 23% of non-seniors are connecting to transit, allowing more of us to access public transportation without a car and from further away.
- Newton North and Newton South High Schools are among the top destinations.
NewMo is also having a positive impact on carbon emissions.
- 30-40% of trips are shared.
- All of the vehicles, with the exception of the wheelchair accessible vans, are low-or no- emissions electric or hybrid vehicles.
- NewMo intends to transition the remaining hybrids to full electric vehicles this year. (We’ll continue to use the two gas-powered wheelchair accessible vans until good EV models are available.)
Still haven’t taken your first ride?
NewMo operates everywhere in Newton from 7:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. For those over 60 years old, NewMo also operates from 9 a.m. to noon on the weekends and provides door-to-door service (instead of corner-to corner service).
The first five trips are free for all new users.
After that, all rides are $2, or 50 cents for riders with low incomes who qualify. (To apply for the low-income rate, contact Nfreedman@newtonma.gov)
Signing up on a smartphone and booking a ride is simple. Download the NewMo app, create an account, select a payment method, enter the requested information, and you’re ready to book a ride. Rides can also be booked by telephone. Call 617-655-8019 to request your ride.
Celebrate with Us!
To commemorate the 100,000th ride, NewMo is offering everyone one free ride until February 15. The free ride is automatic, so go ahead and book your ride.