Via for Relay, a partnership between Via and the New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene, provides free transportation to Relay Program wellness advocates dispatched to individuals who have survived an opioid overdose in hospitals across New York City.
Wellness Advocates: Once added to the program by New York City Health, you will be prompted to download the Via rider app and enter a unique code. This will enable you to unlock free rides for Relay Program trips.
Service hours: 24/7 | Price: Free! | Service zone: New York City
How to book a ride as a Wellness Advocate.
- Download the Via app from the App Store or Google Play Store and register your account (if you already have a Via account, skip this step).
- New York City Health must add you to the program, which will generate a welcome email with a unique code.
- Navigate to the Promo Codes section of the app menu and enter the unique code from your welcome email.
- When you’re ready to book a ride, select “New York City Health” at the top right corner of the home screen before booking.
- Enter the pickup address and press Set Pickup. Enter the dropoff address and press Set Dropoff. Then, choose from one of the trip options and tap Book Ride!
Measures Via is taking to lessen COVID-19 exposure.
We’re working hard to ensure that every trip you take is as safe and worry-free as possible. Check it out:
- Everyone on board is required to wear a face mask or face covering. Passengers not wearing a face mask may be refused service.
- In-app wellness checks help make sure passengers and drivers are symptom-free and ready to ride before they get going — please stay home if you have either been diagnosed with COVID-19, think you’re exhibiting symptoms, or have been in contact with someone who has recently tested positive.
- Vehicle capacity is limited in accordance with social distancing guidelines. Additionally, in vehicles with automatic doors, please wait for the driver to open and close the door to avoid touching the handles.
- We’re providing Via drivers with plexiglass partitions to install between the rider and driver cabins.
What if I did not receive a welcome email with a unique code?
All Wellness Advocates added to the Via for Relay program by New York City Health will receive a welcome email. If you did not receive an email, check your junk email folder or reach out to your Relay Program contact.
How much do rides cost?
Rides are completely free for Relay Program Wellness Advocates, provided trips are for Relay Program purposes. To access free rides, make sure you register with your unique promo code emailed to your employee email address, and when you are ready to book a ride, select “New York City Health” at the top right corner of the home screen before booking.
Where can I book trips to?
Wellness Advocates can book trips anywhere in New York City for destinations permitted by the Relay Program, which include participating partner hospitals.
Can I book a ride in advance?
Our service is on-demand, meaning you should book a ride when you’re ready to leave and you’ll get picked up within a few minutes.
Can I book rides without a smartphone?
Wellness advocates will need a smartphone to download the Via app to book rides.
How do I mark someone as needing a wheelchair accessible vehicle?
Tap your profile picture or image at the top of the app menu and tap the Wheelchair toggle to turn it on.
How do I book rides for multiple passengers?
In the Via app, tab the plus sign to add the total amount of passengers that will be in your trip.
Can I change my destination once I’ve booked?
Once you start a ride, the destination cannot be changed. If you have yet to board, you can cancel the ride and re-book with a new destination.
What do the vehicles look like?
Vehicles may look a little different — the easiest way to find your vehicle is to reference the vehicle make, model, and license plate number provided in the booking.
How do I know where to meet my driver?
You will be able to track your vehicle and see the exact pick up location in the Via app. Our rides are door-to-door service, so be on the lookout for your driver at the pick-up location you requested.
What do I do if my driver left without me?
Order another ride through the Via app, and then send an email explaining what happened to email@example.com.
Can I leave feedback for my driver?
Yes — please feel free to fill out the feedback screen after your ride.
I left something in the vehicle — how do I retrieve it?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of the missing item.
Zero Tolerance Policy
Via has a strict Zero Tolerance policy. We do not tolerate the use of drugs or alcohol by drivers on the Via service platform nor do we tolerate inappropriate behavior by drivers towards passengers. If you believe that your driver may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, if your driver is behaving in a manner that you consider inappropriate or that makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, or if your driver engages in conduct which could be considered unlawful or illegal, please ask the driver to terminate the trip immediately. If you feel that you are in imminent danger, please contact the police directly by calling 911. After the ride has concluded, please provide feedback using the Via app or email us at email@example.com to report the issue.
Smoking of any kind is prohibited, including e-cigarettes, vaporizers, or smokeless cigarettes.
We know that you are on the go, but please help us keep our vehicles clean and fresh and avoid bringing food and drink in our cars. Please also be mindful that smelly food can be distracting and unpleasant for your fellow passengers. Drinking alcohol and carrying open containers of alcohol in our vehicles is not allowed.
Phone call policy
Please remember your fellow passengers might not be as interested in your phone conversations. We ask that you limit phone calls to quick logistics and emergencies during shared rides.
Via vehicles are a shared space, and as such we ask everyone to limit any personal items to a single piece of luggage or a reasonably-sized bag.
Licensed service animals are welcome to ride in Via vehicles without restrictions. Other dogs and cats must be in an airline-approved carrier in order to ride with Via and be able to be carried on the rider’s lap or underneath the rider’s seat/seat in front.